Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kindergarten

My heck. Today was kindergarten registration for Jenna. I am glad that they canceled me on Same-Day surgery, and that a good friend called to tell me that it was today!
So on the way to registration, I heard a song on the radio....I am not sure what it is called, "Cinderella" maybe. Anyway it was about how a dad's little girl had grown to be a woman, but that to him she'd always be his little girl with a stained face, anxious to play, riding her bike for the first time, etc, etc......I think that is where it begins. The song set the mood. I took Jenna for registration (and she is SOO excited to be a big Kindergartener like Mason), we talked to the ladies who did their thing, then I promptly called Steve and cried. I parked on the side of the road and got out of the car to cry so she wouldn't be suspicious. (Who am I kidding?). I got back in the car and told her that I was proud of her, and that I was sad that she was growing up, all the while, I had wet eyes, a streaky face, but a quivering smile. She smiled back like an understanding friend. Then she said, "I didn't think grown ups cried like that!"

7 comments:

Marci said...

I feel your pain. I bawled like a baby when McKenna started Kindergarten. It is such a mixed feeling sort of thing. Jake is going to start Kindergarten this year too. He is very excited and so am I. The more you have in school the easier it is. But when I think about Ellie starting the next year, it makes me very sad. I will have all my kids in school!! Where has the time gone? Anyway, I am excited for Jenna. She will love it!

♥Mrs L ♥ said...

Awww Mandy. I remember when you were pregnant with Jenna and I always knew then what a wonderful mom you would be. I can't believe how fast she's grown! I love reading your posts! Your such a sweet human being. Truly.

Regina said...

Mandy Jo,

The name of the song is Stealing
Cinderella by Chuck Wicks and it is one of my favorite songs because I think of you every time I hear it. And you were right, that is where it all starts.
I'm proud of you, love Dad

Brandon and Natalie said...

I can't believe she is old enough to start Kindergarten!
I am sure she will love it.
That songs is one of my favorites right now too.

I remember my mom crying every year school started. I think I probably will to.

Jamie said...

That is so going to be me... I can't believe how fast they grow up. One of these days were going to get together and talk. Sorry we don't get to when I see you for that second at work.

summer c said...

I love that song and get teary eyed almost every time I hear it. I am a total daddy's girl and it touches my heart to know my Daddy loves me that much.
I have missed so many of your posts and I am so glad I read them. Your one about how slow to remember made me cry. I am constantly trying to reorganize my priorities and force myself to be gratful for what I have. I live in a very prominent (spelling?) community and there are so many that seem to have so many things. And it is so hard not to covet the whole neighborhood! (Cansas and I have had this conversation many times) Thx so much for your insight! It really helped me :) Your an awesome person and mother.

Cansas said...

Wow! Kindergarten already. It seems like just yesterday you guys were in SL at Gavin's baby blessing. Kids grow up too fast!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3