Monday, March 10, 2008

How slow to remember...

It seems like over the past several weeks I go through mini-crisis. I panic because I feel like I am getting old, I want more kids, more money, a house, a back yard, a better vehicle, no debt, to work less, more education, more sleep, more discipline, more church activity, better parenting skills, more ideas for dinners, more time with Steve, a better retirement, ...blah blah blah, then the next day comes, and it is not overwhelming anymore. I feel better.
Well last night after Steve and I were thinking again about homes and our plan to get one in the future, and we were both highly frustrated as we talked about money and what we don't have and want. We gnashed on about the pitifulness of the situation, then very suddenly Steve's attitude changed, and he started to ramble off all the good stuff. What a peaceful feeling came to my heart. A feeling of relief. It is so miserable to be negative. How endearing to hear him talk about our blessings- and humbling too! (What a brat I was being!) Right before lights out I read a little piece of an article by Dallin H Oaks. The title of the article was "Good, Better, Best". As I pondered those things that Steve said and what Dallin Oaks said, I thought "how slow I am to remember and how quick I am to forget the blessings of the Lord." Somewhere in all my desires, though they are not bad desires, I forgot what was Best- that is my family- my husband and kids, teaching my kids good and righteous principles. Having fun with them and spending quality time together. I am grateful for our health, safety, opportunities, family and friends.
Not to say that I don't still want those other things to happen, it just put things in perspective.

9 comments:

Lacey said...

DITO! What can I say, you spoke from my heart...keep your chin up.

Mandy said...

Love you Lace!

Cansas said...

Yeah, I think we all have those moments when all we can think about is what we don't have. I struggle with that too sometimes. By the way, I can't believe how expensive housing is in Cedar City !! How does anyone afford a home anymore.

lcdiaz said...

Mandy you are so awesome!! I admire you so much! Hang in there and know that you are not alone. I struggle with the same things

Regina said...

Mandy,
very true, very touching, very humbling.

Have you ever considered a career or maybe side career in writing? Maybe submitting a few things for publication maybe to like some of your religious affilliated magazines or parenting magazine, or heck any magazine. You lend a lot of thought and inspiration to others with your postings. Your point comes across with such clarity.
Regina, and yes your dad definitiely ditto's this. He just said so himself.

Cori Carpenter said...

What a great post! I certainly needed that! Eli and I have also been struggling with those very same issues and we both have been getting frustrated, so it was so nice to read this blog to really put things into perspective! Thank you!!

Mandy said...

Liss, Thanks for talking the other day about this same thing. Everything I post is a re-run for you. Thanks for being a friend.

Brandon and Natalie said...

Thank you for the post. It was great for me to read. What an uplifting post!

Trezberley said...

You are amazing...I have always thought that and it just reaffirms it by reading your blog. THANKS!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3