Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The 134th Kentucky Derby is May 3rd...You are invited!








Last year, Steve's Uncle Vic and Aunt Mindy invited us to join them at the Kentucky Derby. Vic's company is based out of Louisville, KY and they treat their best clients to a day at the Derby. One of their clients was unable to attend, so Vic and Mindy called us. At the time we lived only about 1 hour from Churchill Downs. It was Friday night, we made arrangements for a sitter and I was off to the store for a hat and an outfit. I could not find much at that hour in little Madison to wear, so I desperately went with an old faithful church dress that worked out just fine. Mindy said "You must have a hat!". I thought that was a little cheesy, but I did get a Wal-mart hat and poked a artificial flower in it and was terribly self-conscious in it...until we arrived! Hats and style are half the fun of the Derby. The other 1/2 is the excitement of the race. The horses are real athletes.
The races make it easy to be a fan...so Steve and I got the fever last year. We were standing on the bleachers yelling as they thundered by. Steve then decided that we would have a party this year for Derby whether we lived in Indiana or Utah....so Lissa is hosting in her beautiful home in Orem, UT. You are invited, click here to see the sweet invitations that Lissa made.
We want RSVPs by the 21st so just post on my or Lissa's site if you want us to count you in.
It will be so fun. Women, you have to wear a hat! There will be door prizes and games. Your little ones are welcome- and Lissa's house is plenty big- so bring it on if you can. We will have Kentucky style food and Mint Juleps to boot. We'll watch the races and enjoy the company of friends and family.
Even if you can't make it up to play (fam and friends in IN, KY, OK, NM, CA, WA, AZ, TN and even NV and those great-with-child: Brig), and you have a few extra dollars, make a hat with me! I am going to make my hat, and I am trying for something a little more fun this year! I have some ideas off the internet. Post it on your site when you are done. And I'll make a gallery. What a fun project- I thought the kids might do one too! It is said that the most important characteristic of a Kentucky Derby hat is its originality – make it yourself.

8 comments:

lcdiaz said...

SWEET and HOT!! Let's derby it up. Bring on the Hats!!!

Mandy said...

Yaaahooo!

Lacey said...

I want to go! When do we leave!? ;)

Brandon and Natalie said...

I wish we could be there. I think we might have our own derby fun out here in TN.

summer c said...

Ah, the Kentucky Derby. I grew up/lived the last 3 years of high school, in Kentucky. And there is definitely something special about the Derby! What a great I idea to have a party. Wish we could be there!

summer c said...

Oh yea! Thats awesome about the house. We lived in Jon's grandparents house in enoch for a while. Although I hear it is a little different now then it was back then......did I really just say that! This means I'm getting old......sad!

Tiffney said...

This sounds like so much fun! You have the best ideas. I think it would be fun to make a hat. We will just have to see.

Mandy said...

So I am working on my hat ideas...harder than I thought! Anyway, it should be fun!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3