Monday, February 16, 2009

"Come with Me to Primary"


Primary-For those fellow bloggers who don't go to church with me, let me give a little back ground on Primary. I am not talking about the elections or the colors or school for school aged kids. The kids at our church ages 3-12 go to Primary every Sunday after Sacrament meeting. There the kids sing songs, learn about Jesus and other gospel principles through lessons, discussion, and age appropriate activities like coloring and cutting and role playing, etc. I was very happy to have the experience as the Primary President in our Ward in Indiana. As the president you help everything to run smoothly and facilitate ideas, organize teachers and put into order the tools that the church provides. It was so fun, a great time for learning, and such a great spiritual experience to be guided by God to help these little ones come unto Christ and feel of His love. Anyway, now that you know a little bit about how that works, I will tell you that last Saturday a member of the church leadership asked if I would be an instructor in the Primary. I was happy, but at the same time, I am due in 3 weeks people! I was hoping that it wasn't the Sunbeams class, the 3 year old class. (Bless those teachers souls for their love and patience!)Zac is in that class. It is hard to teach your own, they demand a lot of your attention and your patience is more easily spent on your own. I didn't really want to teach Jenna's class either, because she loves her teacher and she struggles with being shy. I was hoping for her sake, I wasn't her teacher. Anyway, there I was ornery and fat in the Primary 2 Sundays ago, waiting for my assignment to be with the 9 year olds. The 9 year olds can read, sit still and have mostly been baptized, so they know the basics of the gospel! As I sat there with them during Opening exercises we listened to a 3 year old give a 1-2 minute talk with her mom's help about Jesus or something that I don't even remember, but I know that I felt in my heart and in my mind through the Spirit that the Primary would again bless my life as I served there. There were a couple times that Sunday when I caught myself tearing up. This past weekend, on Sunday, I taught the kids in my class from the manual about Joseph Smith and translating the Book of Mormon. They are so eager to learn more about spiritual things too, not just cool things at school and sports. Children are such good examples of faith and humility. I loved their questions and insight. I guess I am typing in gratitude that I am loved enough to be able to serve again in the Primary. It helps me to be a better mom and person. I remember feeling that way when I served in there before. What a blessing to be taught as I study and teach and to be taught by the children. Service is medicine for the soul. I hope that I can make the kids there feel of His love for them.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I am a counselor right now...love it. The Sr. primary IS a lot easier. I do love how their simple matter of fact answers and testimonies bear testimony of the Gospel of JEsus Christ.

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3