Friday, January 2, 2009

The three C's

In the past few days I have been thinking about something that I read from a book of Sheri Dew's years ago. She talks about the three C's, and how they are trouble in our lives. They are Criticizing, Comparing and Competing. Criticism directed at ourselves and others is obvious why it is troublesome. I have been thinking about the comparing thing too. I wonder, "why the heck can't my child just be well mannered?", "how come Steve and I are going nuts at a restaurant when the people next to us with kids are so happy and calm?", or "why do I gain weight in my butt and legs?"; Blah, blah, blah...the list goes on in regards to any given aspect of life.
I am trying this New year to remember these three Cs and to love myself and my kids for who we are, as imperfect and unique as we may be. To try my best as a mom and wife and not to beat myself up for not being whatever I think that I should be. As far as competing, -I am not so bad at that, thankfully I don't have that burning desire to be the best with the best-, maybe I will work that another angle...play more games with Steve and the kids!
Anyway, as I consider the changes that I want to make in my life and in our home, I am going to try to remember the basics and start back there again. Love others and myself.
Happy New Year to all!

5 comments:

Tiffney said...

What if I just leave comments on your blog. No I will post something very soon. Aren't you grateful for the new year. You are a great mom, as to why all of those things cross your mind---I think the beautiful growing baby that causes the swelling, the hormones, and the lack of sleep should get some of the credit. The other credit goes to those women who do it so well in public that we feel like comparing. I mean cant they mess up for all to see just long enough to make us feel better. When they go out to the car or if you followed them to the bathroom at the restaurant, you'd see why they are so happy. And the rest of the prize goes to the old tempter, but it sounds like you are handling him with the three c's. Thanks for the thoughts, I love talking to you....I miss you.

lcdiaz said...

Mandy, you are so inspiring!!! You are such a beautiful, smart, funny, kind wife and mom! I love reading your blog...it inspires me to be more like you! Love you!

Mandy said...

Liss, you are sweet to me.

Lacey said...

Dito on all of that, and HI! I'm so glad you guys made it safe and were able to have a decent Christmas with family and loved ones. We drove through Cedar on our way to see my family and thought of calling you to see if we could stop in (a joke of course) but it was like 2 am. So, we passed up the opp, but Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Congrats on the house and job and all you guys do for your family. You're the biggest trooper I know, Mandy!

Cansas said...

Very well said. Thanks for that post. We all need a good reminder once in a while:)

The teacher's comment to you about Jenna made me cry. Isn't that exactly what a nervous mom wants to hear! She sounds awesome.

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3