Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Changes and Anxiety

I have been working with Central Staffing at the hospital here since we moved back to Utah. That means that I float to the different departments. I did some shifts in the ER and on Same Day Surgery, on Med/Surg and on Post Partum.... it was a terrific experience. I learned a lot and it was helpful to know all the departments. Plus, truly all the people have been great. I really enjoyed taking the Advanced life support classes and the EKG classes- I was kind-of preparing for a future in the ICU. A few weeks ago the OB manager said that there was an opening on her floor. I thought about it a lot and accepted the job. It will be nice to have a "home base" and not floating everywhere. Plus this is what I had in mind when I entered nursing school...
I am nervous because I am totally a fish out of water. Aside from the 2 that I have had, I don't know much about Labor and delivery. In nursing you work hard and mostly with experience you learn. You can be an A student in Nursing school, and that helps to know the books, but it's experience that makes the most difference. I feel like I was good at Medical/Surgical nursing. That is essentially all I have done in one form or another. Being on OB makes me a real green horn. I hate the idea of being the "low man on the totem pole". LD is an area that you don't just "get good at" in a short period of time. I however have great co-workers and my coach is terrific.It will be good...just ask me how much I love it in 6 months...by then I may be feeling a little less anxiety!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Chris here.

Do not even tell me you guys were in Blanding this weekend. We didn't have your new number in your phone so we couldn't call to see about getting together on our way back from Salt Lake (yes, Kim had her baby a month early, so yes, we were there for almost two weeks)...So long story short, we went the other way...through Monticello...20 minutes from Blanding. And I had this nagging suspicion you guys were there. Anyway, looks like things are great for y'all. I'm pretty excited about you coming to Oklahoma next weekend, just remember to bring soda, but don't worry about the food, we've got everything. Haha. Say hi to Steve and the kiddos.

Brandon and Natalie said...

I am sure you will do fantastic at your job. I can see you as a very kind and thoughtful nurse. Plus, you have had kids already and know what it is like going through a delivery.

Angie said...

Maybe I'll see you there in a few weeks :) I need a good nurse to help me through my first delivery. I really do hope to see you sometime since really Cedar isn't that big.

Lacey said...

Well, I will just say that you are kick-a at nursing, and you will be a great addition (no pun intended) in the Labor and Delivery dept. You have all the skills and the wonderful mothering qualities that we all wish we had, which will give you a one-up on that totem pole!

Mandy said...

You are so sweet Lace.. thanks for your confidence!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3