Sunday, September 20, 2009

Outer Darkness

So I think that I know what "outer darkness" will include for me if I happen to not get my act together and go upstairs. I understand that it would not be limited to this as I am certain there would be incomprehensible misery, but I assume that it will include feeling like it feels after working a night shift and not being able to sleep (because I have small children to look after because my babysitter text me at 11pm to cancel...again.) The nausea, the confusion, irritability, the sweating, the headache..how time moves so slowly. How the day drags and the emotions run high awaiting relief. How reasoning is not so good and irrationality is familiar. Yes, it is a pretty miserable feeling. Being awake 26 hours, sleep 6 hours, awake 17, sleep 6, awake 6, sleep 6, awake 26..etc...this is not so good of a feeling when a 6 hours sleep stent is deleted!

On a side note, I recently read an article about how working night shifts is actually carcinogenic. Also that it increases risk for diabetes, high blood pressure (3 of my 20-something co-workers (not over weight and that do exercise) are on BP meds), mood disorders and sleep disorders.

I will not say that working night shift on a crazy busy Labor/Delivery unit is hell (I do love to help moms and just love those babies), it's just that one must sleep and make an attempt to be normal afterward.

Alas, we are on the search for a new babysitter that can help us make that happen...some attempt at normalcy. Wish us luck with finding a new sitter in a speedy manner. So that all sleep possible can be had. Oh sleep, how you cure all that ails me!

6 comments:

JEFF said...

I feel your pain!!! I think I should just quit my job and baby sit your kids... how does that sound? I figure if you guys paid me $2 an hr and free room and board... I'm good :D

Mandy said...

LOL. Jeff, you have it all figured out! Come on out!

Richins Family said...

I hope that you can find a new sitter so you can get some rest! I think that those moms are so lucky to have you as a nurse, but it is hard to give to them, your family, and not have any time for yourself. Keep up the good work and I know that things will work out!

Catrina said...

Just reading your post made me tired! I know EXACTLY how you feel! Do you remember when we talked about how we resemble a drunk after a night shift...while trying to take care of our kids? When people show up at your door in the middle of the day...you are in your PJs, your hair is crazy, and make-up running down your face...your house is a mess, and your baby is only in a diaper. Yeah...I'm surprised CPS hasn't been called on more night shift workers! I'm sorry about your craziness...hope it gets better!

Mandy said...

Catrina! That is too fun and so true! Thanks for commiserating!

Tiffney said...

Oh Mandy! I hope you have found someone by now. That is miserable. Good luck! Things aren't so busy this week maybe we can talk since you aren't sleeping :-) One more thing to add to the confusion!!!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3