Monday, February 25, 2008

Just a Good Day

Today was a good day. The next 4 weeks will be hairy because I am working more. Steve also is back to tax season- he got a great job offer and decided to take it at a CPA Firm in town- nuts, I know. (The extra hours for me, and Steve's new job is in part in effort to get things in order to get a house.- probably '09- ugg!) I dread the next few week and feel badly that I work so much. Anyway, today is my only day off this week, and it was so good. Nothing exceptional- but here is the blow by blow: This morning the kids slept past 7:30- therefore I did. When Zac woke up, he asked to pee on the potty! What! He actually peed too. We went to the grocery, Jenna was such an awesome little helper! She didn't even ask for a toy. Soooo good. Zac, not so much, but the lady behind me in line was great. She has no idea that she made my morning better. As Zac was crying in the cart, trying to stand up in the seat, tangled in the strap, she was cool as a cucumber and made me feel like "this is normal, you are not a bad mom, really your kids are lovely!" I even let the kids ride the little ride by the check out lines- they always ask, I rarely allow it. Jenna buckled her own seat belt all day. I got my exercise in because I made at least 7 trips up and down the 3 flights of stairs to the apartment as I carried in groceries, took out trash, etc. It was a productive day, I did dishes and cleaned the bedroom and bathroom- I can't remember the last time that I cleaned the tub! Ahhh. It was a beautiful day. We went to the park, I can't think of any tears or near misses there. The kids played like friends, not siblings. We went to the bank and they gave the kids suckers!!! I dropped off a letter to the post office as she was making the last collection. We did have FHE, even thou I had to bribe them with Skittles to listen, it was good. I put Zac to bed tonight just once. To top it all off my friends Tiff and Lace stopped by my blog and helped me to remember how much I love them and how grateful I am for friends. Then, tonight Steve said something to the effect that the idea of more kids is not so totally repugnant. Anyway, it was a good day. No kids running out, eating rocks. No snow, no major loss of tempers (on my part mostly), no TV all day. No dishes in the sink, no rotting garbage in the can. It's not perfect, but a good day!

9 comments:

Lacey said...

Mandy! You make me feel so normal. Like, I don't feel alone in this mom thing. I think I still need to take out my garbage and I might clean my shower while I shower tomorrow, but other than that, I feel normal. Isn't being a mom great, especially on those days when your kids are awesome! I decided to take your advice and just blog it up, so I did a music spew. Thanks for popping on and commenting. Your family pics are so good!!! You look nice and tan, you hot mama!

Cori Carpenter said...

Mandy, that was a great post to read!! It is always so nice to have a good, productive day...especially with kids! I liked how you added..."No TV all day"...that would be a big accomplishment for me...I hate having the TV on at all, so I try to limit, although it's so hard sometimes...Indianna just loves certain shows!

Cansas said...

That's awesome. I love days like that - few as they may be. I guess if our days were always like that we wouldn't appreciate them right.

Lacey said...

Yo, this is Chris. Funny, if Steve had been in your place, his blog probably would have gone something like this: "Today was horrible. It was so boring. It didn't snow, I had to watch Zac pee, I had to talk to some strange lady in the gracery store. The kids got all sticky from some suckers those jerks at the bank gave us...and no TV all day!"

Anyway, awesome blog. Keep it up, Lacey was inspired, and now we want the Twilight books. I'm always up for a good read. By the way, congrats on Steve's new job, I'm gonna have to call him and tell him how awesome that is. Anyway, see ya later!

Brandon and Natalie said...

It sounds like the day was about as close to perfect as they come.

It sounds like you did it all that day. Way to go!

Those days are my favorite!

Congrats to Steve on the new job and good luck with yours.

lcdiaz said...

Mandy, you always do fun things with your kids. I need to be more like you. I'm so glad that you and the kids had an awesome day. Love ya.

p.s. I got the e-mail, thanks.

Regina said...

You describe it so nicely, that we can picture the day very well...
We always enjoy reading your blog, Mandy. We know it has to sometimes be a chore to post, but back east we sure do appreciate it. You guys are living the American dream, and you are doing it well.
We're happy for your good days and wish you many more.
Dad & Regina

Mandy said...

Chris, You are soooo funny. You and Lacey both are. We miss you. And your post is right-on about what Steve would think of it all. I am smiling as I type.

Oh and I feel the need to clarify that we did watch plenty of TV, just not ALL DAY LONG. After all, these are the Christensen kids- like Mandatory Metallica on the radio, we have to have mandatory Dora and Sponge Bob (as long as Squidward isn't too naughty.)

Marci said...

I love those kind of days. I especially love it when the kids play like friends instead of siblings. I have a hard time getting my kids to do that, so when it does happen it is a great feeling.

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3