Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wisdom teeth

Why are they called Wisdom teeth anyway? Once they erupt does it mean that you have reached an age where you are more wise and mature? I am not sure, I think that I have had mine 12 or so years, and they were nothing but trouble. I didn't notice any advantage, except that the gap between my front 2 teeth did tightened up, but other than that, just a nuisance and a safe harbor for cavities, as of late. The past 3 dentists have told me "they are going to cause you trouble down the road...," well we are down that road, and out they went this weekend.
 On Monday, I called and asked it there were any opening for my teeth to come out this past Friday. They said they were booked, but would put me on a cancel list. I was somewhat relieved because I didn't want to worry about it all week. In fact, we had planned a trip to Moab and on to Blanding over the long weekend, where I actually had a Friday off and Monday too. Thursday, however, the dentist's office called and some wise soul cancelled their appt, and they could get me in for 5 fillings and 4 wisdom teeth extractions. Oh Joy! I said OK and Steve was fine to oblige. -Knowing it needed to be done since my appt in October. Plus he got plenty of PS3 in over the weekend.
 Kristi was even available to watch the little guys while Steve went with me to the dentist. I tried the NOS, frankly because Steve is a fan, Jenna did great with it, and I was anxious and thought that it might help. Within a couple of minutes, I started to giggle and tingle. Weird! Then a bit later, I became a cry baby. I am not talking about bawling, just streaming tears. It was like the post partum blues all over again. "Why am I crying?" After all my numbing injections, I decided that NOS was for the birds or whoever else liked feeling that way. Within minutes, I was no longer streaming tears and could tolerate listening to the country music in the background without crying. It was a good experience for my childbirth class. Funny, I know. It hasn't been that long since I had Gage, but I was experiencing pain and anxiety and did use some relaxation techniques. Mostly deep breathing and progressive relaxation. The problem is that when I would relax, my mouth would relax and he would say, "you are closing on me again." I also squeezed the heck out of Steve's hand.
 He filled 5 cavities on the left and then pulled the wisdom teeth, the whole thing start to finish was an hour and a half. The dental hygienist did a pretty good job numbing me, but on my left upper, I was feeling him pull it out, so he gave me another shot that seemed to do the trick, unfortunately that made my left nostril, ear and eye lid numb too. I looked like a stroke victim by the time we were done. Never mind how I felt. I felt like a character off of Planet of the Apes. The girl asked if I wanted to look in the mirror. I said, "No!"
 Steve did a great job taking care of me. Once we got home, I had to be changing that nasty gag-me gauze and passed out cold on the floor in the bathroom. I came to and realized what had happened. "Steve!" He found me and was not happy to find me on the floor only having been out of his sight for a couple of minutes. I crawled, hands and knees, to the bed. Steve took off my shoes, placed ice packs on my face, and he checked on me every 10 minutes for a while, I know.
 The rest of the day was a blurr. The dentist gave me the big guns. I took a full dose twice maybe and a half of a phenergan, and no wonder people get addicted to that crap. Sleep away the day and the night, the pain and responsibility.
 I am glad that I have a good husband that can handle things well. Saturday was better. We ran to Walgreen's, and I decide that I wasn't quite ready for any type of errand, running or otherwise. So I went back to bed and later ate Zuppas for dinner. I love Zuppas soup and the Big Bang Theory.
 Today was better even still. No more narcs needed. The Motrin is doing just fine. I have been up and doing stuff, and feel about human again, just with 4 less teeth. Hopefully we will have fun and be productive tomorrow to make up for the otherwise blah-zae weekend. I am relieved to have it done.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3