Friday, November 19, 2010

Birds and Bees?


Jenna came home from school the other day and announced that she was in love with Turner. "Mom, I am in love with Turner!"
"Really," I say.
Humm, I am thinking, "in-love". Great she is 7! This is going to be a long road.
So Jenna says, "Yeah, he gave me this reraser... (translated "eraser"). He gave me a different one, but I really liked this one. I said that if he didn't give me this one, then I would kiss him."
"Jenna, 7 year-olds do not kiss.", I say firmly.
Jenna's eyes look down, "ok". "I need to ask if he is allergic to cats, anyway."
Jenna has made that an exemption from marriage. She really wants a cat, and if he is allergic it's a "no-go", even if he is prince-charming.

She is growing up and even though Jenna has always had friends that were boys, the kissing and in-love talk is getting slightly more feasible (ok, at least the kissing)
and makes me swallow hard and my eyes bug! I guess the birds and the bees talk may be around the corner. What is the origin of that expression anyway?

So yesterday I was reading Parents Magazine and there was an article about talking to your kids about stuff, specifically to a child Jenna's age. The article/author assumed that at her age the whole concept of intercourse should have been addressed already, and it's time for more info about relationships now. Well, CRAP! Is that true? It was hard enough for me to tell Jenna 3 months ago how exactly Gage would enter the world. She had started the question one morning when it was just us, and I felt the time was right. We didn't talk about how a baby was made. She had enough information that morning, although she took it all in stride.

My fear would be that with this new info, Jenna will go to school talking about intercourse... and sperm and eggs making a baby. On some distant level, it's like when that one kids tells his friends that Santa isn't real, then all their parents are up in arms.
So when is it the right time? I decided to pull out a Church produced manual that the Bishop gave us as a gift. It talks, in part, about talking to your kids about sexuality and relationships. It is an awesome resource, but again wants me to be the parent and didn't tell me on what date to have the talk prepared like I was wanting, unfortunately. I felt like I would need to be thoughtful, aware and prayerful as to when opportunities would come up to talk to Jenna...and Zac eventually (Heaven help us!) I do know that I want her (all the kids) to be able to talk to Steve and me, and I want them to learn these things in their home first, and be able to ask questions openly when they hear stuff at school. I don't want to jump the gun here or wait too long.
Geez. I think that you never stop worrying and learning as a parent.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3