Tuesday, November 30, 2010

5 o'clock club

I reluctantly have joined the nuts who are a part of the 5 o'clock club. I guess I knew it was just a matter of time until I would have to convert to the dreaded early hour.
When I was a part of MaryKay when Jenna was a baby is when I learned about the 5 o'clock club. The idea is that you get up, get a shower, get your clothes and face on and whatever else is important to you...exercise, journaling, reading before the day starts in full force. I remember nodding outwardly and shaking my head inwardly, thinking, "wow, that is early". I remember thinking that 5 was probably unnecessary...6 seemed plenty early. The idea of sitting in the dark after my shower and getting dressed seemed dumb...I would just fall back asleep!
My alarm clock on my days off have been the voice(s) or bustle of children in the house awake and surely up to no-good or ready to start their day with bellows from the crib. Traditionally, Zac has been a loud, cheerful, early-riser, making it necessary that I get up by about 6:30. Then once the kids started school, avoiding truancy made it so wake-up time was about 6:30 in order to get them ready. A shower was squeezed in with the door open during naps.
Now that I am working days, it is necessary that I get up at 5:00 so I can shower, get dressed, get the kids ready, feed the kids, feed the baby somewhere in there, and be on my way by 7:30.
My good friend once would get up at 4:30 or 5 to go to the grocery or to train for a half marathon before she started her day with the kids and household responsibilities. I again remember thinking, "wow, that is early!" Now I can see that it is necessary to get just the minimum stuff done without being a wicked, mean, angry mom hustling everyone along and cheering them to gulp down their toast and run out to the bus. (Exercise again will fall to the way side. 4:00 is not an option!)
Yesterday was day 1 of the 5 o'clock rise. It went well. I do better when I have some time alone in the morning. I am a bit nicer. However, by 6:30 pm I was tired and grumpy...and by 7:35 I was nodding off on the couch. This is going to take some getting used to. I guess 9 pm bedtime is going to be a necessary part of the plan.
I am happy though that I am working days and am able to feed my baby and cuddle him at night, and also that I can get the kids ready for school, etc because I am no longer on night shift. I think that despite the early hour, this is a good choice for us. Yay for working at a clinic 2 days a week!

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3