Sunday, June 6, 2010

Camping at Cave Run

We had decided in the spring that we would go camping this summer and explore Kentucky, then our plans changed, and now we will have adventures in Utah instead! We had planned to go camping with friends this summer, and when we found out we were moving, it became a necessity that we bump up the date and squeeze it in! We went with 2 other families. These families are probably the most special to us in Kentucky. They have both answered our prayers, both spoken and unspoken. We feel blessed by them and for knowing them.

The A's we met soon after our move here. Angie loved Zac, and I immediately felt at ease with her...which is no small feat! She watched my kids while I was delivering Trev at the hospital. We have had play dates together, cookouts, and ladies dates walking or at the movies (not enough of those actually!) She has been an immense help and comfort to me. I am grateful for her and her love of my family.

The R's are members at church, the first ones to come up to us at church and give us their number and invite us over for dinner. Annie is the Primary President, that is where I knew I better not miss my opportunity to know her. As I listened to her testimony, humor and love for kids, I thought she was incredible. I even had a dream several months ago that we moved and I regretted not getting to know her. I was able to get to know her... as it worked out that she became the boys' sitter since February. She taught me more than she will know. Some dreams I think just burn off ideas and are discombobulated thoughts, others I think have significance. I am glad that I was able to know her.

Anyway we went with these families. There were 9 kids and 6 adults. No blood, little fighting, and an average amount of tears. We ate well, sweated much and played hard- in my opinion a success! We only spent one night and if you ask me and Trevor it was enough. The beach was perfect for the kids--- The water temperature was nice, and it was clear and shallow for a long way. That is where we spent most of the time Friday eve and Saturday morning. In the mean time, catching bugs, cooking/eating and gathering around the fire were fun for all.
On a side note, there was very little sleep and high humidity. As Steve and I lay in the tent surrounded by my tired, half naked kids (one of which was very fragile that would wake up often) and thought, "how did the pioneers do it?" If I lived in the pioneer days, I can imagine that I would be the least desirable woman with frizball hair, a shiny face, and wild with allergies. Who knows if I would have ever had children, much less do what was necessary to make a child. LOL. I am mostly just happy for a shower.

Anyway, I like to camp. I like it for the kids mostly, and for the family time. I wouldn't go do it on my own for an extended period of time of my own volition. I would rather sit in the back yard, watch the kids play, enjoy a book and a breeze, then come in later and enjoy cuddling on the couch with my man. Or I would like to sweat in the garden for a time, grab some tomatoes and make burgers on the grill with the family. You know, maybe a pop up trailer would be more my speed.
Anyway, we had fun with our friends and had an adventure in Eastern Kentucky. It was beautiful and green. Thank you to the A's and the R's. That better not be the last adventure that we have! Wish I had more pics, but my battery was low.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3