Thursday, October 9, 2008

Party Pooper

We are grateful for a baby coming, for our family, and for our health, and the nice things that we have. We are glad to live where we do. It is beautiful, and I love the sun shine and the smell of sage brush. Our house is coming along nice....aside from a few more things that should hang on the walls, our house is feeling like home. I love the yard and even the dog that sometimes makes me crazy. I am really liking my job and my co-workers. I am just about finished with orientation, in fact next week I will be more on my own. I love that Jenna is liking school, and that I feel safe with them at day care on the days that I work. They are truly loved there. Things are coming together at church. We are making friends and have callings there.
The scary things is that Steve was laid off about 10 days ago. LDS General Conference and optimism were very helpful and we were hopeful..."life is a journey", but after only 10 days and 20 resumes and a gambit of online job applications, we are starting to panic. He had such a good job that he enjoyed. He and 3 other colleagues didn't know the day before that they would receive a letter the next morning laying them off because of lack of monies and business at the firm, blaming the economy and lack of funds transferring from a client in China. He and the other 3 were the most recent hires.
We felt humble, then bitter toward his employer who made him big promises for partner, then jaded and dejected, and now panicked. The thought of moving again breaks my heart- esp for the kids. Also the cost of it all, and the potential of losing it...family is most important, but good credit is helpful! :) Plus I love my van and somewhat unkept yard. It's not luxury, but I love it.
Isn't it interesting how you respond to things in relation to your partner? He is calm and optimistic and so am I, once he panics, I follow in place. He has done awesome as Mr mom, the house is clean and the laundry is done, dinner is made and the kids love him home, but it has offered time for him to think and worry while I was working the past 2 days. Maybe tomorrow we will feel better. One thing is for certain, there is change a-coming, and although I have never hated change, this time, I didn't choose it, and don't feel up to the heartbreak or "going with the flow"... there are lots of factors now, 2 of which are small and sweet and will be confused.
I hate a party pooper, but today I don't have it in me to muster up something optimistic and hopeful. It just wouldn't be genuine. Well, I can honestly say that I do trust that things will be ok, it's just getting there from here.

21 comments:

Jeanine said...

Oh Mandy I am so sorry to hear that. We will keep you in our prayers. Being optimistic is always the best, but I know how hard it can been in the site of all that is coming at you. When you are blindsided too it makes the emotions of the deal seem harder to face. Make sure the resume is beefed up and keep sending it out there!

Alison said...

I am so sorry. You can have this time to be a party pooper. I sure hope all works out for the best...I love how you pointed out all that you loved first. I loved conference this weekend. I think it is helping a lot of us deal with lives little bumps. We will be praying for you.

Angie said...

Hey Mandy, so sorry about the job. We've been there. Between Bryan and I the past 2 years we have gone through 6 job changes all of them increasingly for the better, but at the time they were each very challenging in their own way. Things will work out and you'll look back and be grateful for it even though it's hard to see right now. We love you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You're awesome!

Sidney said...

Conference gave me hope, as "All things work together for your good!" But just remember, It's okay to be a party pooper for a day - 24 hours - ENJOY IT, but then it is back to exercising faith. Sometime one just needs a BREAK from the stress! (I'm speaking from experience here...) So, take 24 hours off and give Steve 24 hours off too! You'll regain your hope, faith, optimism, etc. Mike and I are thinking of you and you are in our thoughts and prayers!!!

♥Mrs L ♥ said...

Oh Mandy! it's always good to hear from you! I'm so glad you blog because even tho I haven't seen you or talked to you over the phone in years I somehow still feel close enough to you! I will be praying for your family. There will be brighter days ahead and it's been hard these days for many families. Keep your head up and smile. :) Luv ya!

Lea said...

Mandy & Steve - so sorry about the job problem! I know you were loving it there, Steve. You are such good people, I know Heavenly Father will bless you and your family. He will put you where you need to be - just hang on for awhile and it will come together. I liked Pres. Monson's talk, it applies here "The best is yet to come." Love to all of you!

Brandon and Natalie said...

Oh Mandy! I am so sorry! We will be praying for you and your little family. I know that Heavenly Father has a special plan for you guys. Much love in Memphis!

Lisa S. said...

You guys are in my prayers. Know that we are thinking about you. I am sad to hear about everything. Please let me know if there is anything I can do (even though I am not in Cedar anymore). We love you!

Cansas said...

Mandy I'm so sorry! We will be praying for you and I'll add your family names in the temple. Jason is going to ask around about accounting jobs here in Logan. Good Luck! We love you guys!

rtwn2 said...

Oh Mandy, your post brings me to tears for you. I feel sick for you and Steve. But I know that you come from a good, strong, smart, family and that you have inherited all those fine traits. I can only believe that you and Steve will prevail and yes, live happily ever after. You have to keep believing that your way will come. You definitely deserve the party pooper attitude, but it does seem to be your and Steve's nature to be optimistic And you are right family is the most important thing here, and I know you and Steve have strong support there. Hang in there, and if there is anything I can do to help you hang.

CrazyDeceptecon said...

it's true....everything will work out!! "Enjoy the journey" if you need anything please let us know....just like everyone else who commented you too will be in our prayers!(thats alot of people who are praying for you...how could things not work out for the better?:) WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there! :)

CrazyDeceptecon said...

sorry this is Lissa and Christian and kids.

Jamie said...

Congratulations on the boy! Im sorry to hear about the job situation... I've totally been there! Not fun! Good luck with everything it will all work out... but I know what you mean hard to see the end of the tunnel. We are still trying to sell our house since the move, so we are still staying in my parents basement apartment, thank goodness for that. I keep thinking that we will sell soon so we can get into a home of our own but it is sure taking longer than I thought. The economy is definately crazy right now. Let me know if you need anything. Maybe you should move over this way. What does your husband do again? Good luck and take care!

Mandy said...

Thanks to you all! You are all so supportive and sweet. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Things could definitely be worse. We happy to be healthy and have each other. We hope to get some leads this up-coming week.

summer c said...

You sweet girl! I am always so very impressed by your optomism and faith. You are such a wonderful example! I'm so sorry to hear about all that. Please remember that you are in our prayers! Jon knows some police officers that live in cedar but work here in vegas during the week and commute home on the weekends. If he were to find something like that Steve would be more than welcome to crash here for a while if needed........not that you would want to move to nevada after living in beautiful cedar city! Good luck!

Lacey said...

What!!?? Boy, you are handling this WELL. I so thought Steve was going to be a partner too...
I am glad you both have your head out of the clouds and are level- headed, and focused people. In situations like this you have a free pass to be a little freaked and angry:)
I love you all and we will keep you in our prayers. Please call me!!!

The Damron's said...

I'm so excited about your little boy on the way, but truley sorry about the job situation. We will keep you in your prayers and if you ever would choose Richfield as an option let me know and I will see if we can hook you up with some jobs here. But you will be in our prayers!

ma said...

Hey Mandy! I remember visiting you during a hard time in my life and a girl gave her testimony at church, I know you remember it. She said "You can choose to bitter ot You can choose to be better." You always choose the high road and I have no doubt you and Steve will be better and stronger through this experience. An my wonderful grandbabies will be fine, they have the unconditional love of their families. That is the most important. Know that I love so and I believe in you. God knows where you're going. I'll see you soon! Can't wait! Mom

Whitney said...

Todd and I will pray that this closed door will lead to an even better door to be opened for you all.

Mandy said...

Thanks Whit!

Whitney said...

Any word on the job situation?

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3