Monday, June 10, 2013

Knee Replacment

I went to Indiana to help my mom with knee replacement. I have felt bad for a while that I am not in Indiana to help out. When mom told me that she was having her knee replaced, I knew that I wanted to go and help her. Knee replacement is a big deal. When I worked in Med/Surg it was a 3 day stay at the hospital, then to rehab and physical therapy. Mom's surgeon is a little more modern and does "quad sparing" total knee replacement where he manipulates the quadricep to place the new knee joint, but doesn't cut the muscle. This means the recovery is a little faster and the hospital stay is shorter. I was definitely impressed to see that mom was up on her new knee within an hour of coming to her hospital room from the recovery room after her 3-hour surgery. Despite the new procedure, the fact is, it is still a major surgery.  I was happy to be there to help out for a few days. She is a little competitive and a bit of an over-achiever, so she was doing great and continues to recover well from her surgery. I am happy that she had the surgery. The surgeon was impressed by the extent of  the bone spurs and arthritis once he got in there. She is such as active person, I am glad that she got it done.
 Aside from being able to help her, I was able to see my brother and his family. I miss them! It was nice to see my dad too.
 It was nice to see how many people love my mom. So many called, texted, and brought food and other things. She has so many good people around her. I want to be closer. It was hard to leave.

My Buddy

Mason, Barron, Jackson, and Aunt Mandy

Crazies

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3