Friday, June 15, 2012

Indiana trip - solo


6/6/2012

This post is much different from the post about this time last year. This time, the visit to family and friends in Indiana was alone. I was in the area for school, but extended my trip to see my family. I had the afternoon Saturday thru the morning on Weds to spend time with family. I also saw them the night I flew in the Tuesday before. It had been a while since I had flown. It was extremely easy and such a contract to flying with children. In fact the last time that we flew as a family, we hung our ticket stubs on  the fridge for months to be reminded that we will not fly again for a long time! If I remember right, there was poop, crying, grumpy passengers, running to catch a flight with small children, lost luggage, missing car keys, and overall anxiety, frustration, and stress involved.  The flight to Louisville was nice and uneventful. I listened to music and dozed off and on.

 Mom, Carrie and the boys greeted me at the airport. Then I was treated to Mexican food for dinner. I liked the food, but loved the company. I decided that I am much more fun without children that I am responsible for. I am going to go home and work on incorporating being fun despite having kids. It certainly is a different life without kids for 8 days, but I missed them and glad that I have children.

 Saturday , I came back to Madison and saw my brother and his family out at his house. His house is beautiful and comfortable. We then ate at the Bone Yard that Steve would have loved. Buddy knows everyone in town and he and his wife kid that he should be mayor. He is a handshaking, smiling fool, minus the fool. After dinner, I was treated to a pedicure and manicure by the multi-talented Carrie out at their house. Dad came out and visited too.

 Sunday, I went to church with mom and Buddy and his kids. Mamaw and Papaw and Aunt Donna were there too. It was nostalgic. I remembered so much of the mass. I would have liked to see the Ward in Madison, but the time conflicted and I valued being with mom and family.  After mass, we went to lunch. Mamaw treated. I was a part of mom and Aunt Donna’s Sunday afternoon routine and went to Walmart with them to peruse. Later we went out to Buddy’s for a cookout to celebrate Mason’s 11th b-day. That was a picture perfect time. We listened to country music on the back porch patio. The weather was perfect. Mom, dad, Buddy and I just sat there and talked and sand songs. After a while, we all played a game of whiffle ball. Buddy, Mom, Carrie and I took on Mason Jackson, Barron and Paw. I am not sure who even won. It was fun though. After that, we played a pick-up game of basketball in the cul-de-sac. Buddy, Mason, Jackson take on Paw, me and Barron. The other team was obviously stacked. We got killed.

 Monday it was unseasonably cool and typically rainy. Even though it was smattering rain, Mom and I ventured with the boys to Clifty Falls state park and inadvertently chose a rugged trail to hike. We saw 82 foot falls and then hiked down to the bottom and played in the creek bed. Most important to me is that we made memories. The boys were awesome, and time and again I was impressed by these good and fun boys! There was minimal whining, even from mom whose knee is bone on bone. She swears that God made it easier on the way up the trail. Good for her. I still made her ice and elevate that night.

That evening we went to Mason’s little league game. Incidentally he was the first draft pick in the league. They do a draft to ensure that no team is stacked. He did very well. He pitched 3 innings. There I was thrilled to see my Aunt Alice and Tim, also my cousin Allie and my other cousin Kelli and her family. They were at the park watching their kids/grandkids. That was fun to see them, because there is just not enough time in the day to see everyone while I am visiting. After that, mom and I grabbed Chinese. That was yummy.

 Every night mom and I watched a movie. Heaven something or another, Coyote Ugly and Breaking Dawn.  I loved that.

 Tuesday, I had a hair apt with my cousin Jenny. 20 years if experience pays off, she was able to get the orange out of my hair. Even though she is more than 10 years my senior, we always seem to find common ground. It was nice to see her. 

We then went to Barron’s t-ball practice. More people there that I grew up with- It is fun being from a small town. We had Rally’s for lunch, then went to the fountain to throw pennies. We walked downtown a while, and even shopped a little.

 The last night Buddy and his fam and I had dinner with dad and Regina. It was a nice night at Harry’s. And as a grand finale, mom and I went to the late show after a trip to Walmart and saw Snowwhite and the Huntsman, which is a new favorite of mine. Wow, I loved it!

This morning, we didn’t have the boys, so we slept in, got ready and headed to Clarksville for lunch and then on to the airport. I am in the Denver airport now.

I had such a nice time being Mandy. I am grateful for my roots.

I love my family, I enjoyed my mom and my brother and his family.

I am also grateful for the things that make me who I am now. I love my husband and kids and the experiences that I have had in life.

The Historic Downtown Madison Fountain

Chinesse





Dont freak out, but that is a 90 foot drop behind them!

My Indiana Boys

Clifty Falls State Park

This is my family. :)
  PS. The layover in Denver was overnight. I slept on the airport floor and froze to death. As soon as a store opened, I bought a sweat shirt. I may not ever like that sweatshirt- so much for flying as easy and stress-free on the way home. Maybe we will always drive with the kids.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3