Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Back to School Fall 2011

Monday night was back to school night. Steve took the big kids while Kristi stayed with the little guys because I was at work. When I got home, Steve, Jenn and Zac arrived shortly after. They were so excited and had McDonalds hot and ready. I swear that I was almost as excited as them. I liked school, except 6th grade, and so I was excited for them. Plus, I have to say that getting them into a routine, especially Zac, does wonders for him.
 The first morning of school was quite different than last year for me. For starters, I am not pregnant! Also, Steve is now home until 7:40ish before he heads to work. But besides those things, the sadness wasn't there. In fact, I was just very excited for them and almost giddy after they left. I thought that having just 1 was hard and each additional child was harder, but when you go from 4 to 2, it feels like cake. As a matter of fact, I have been a little lost. I made a list of stuff to accomplish while the big kids are away. We may even tackle story hour tomorrow for the first time since moving here. Plus a McDonalds run just got significantly cheaper for lunch!
Anyway, last year, it occurred to me that they were really growing up...riding the bus and all, but this year I was just happy to send them on their merry way. They are confident and love school. Zac's K teacher moved up to First Grade this year, and so he has her again. That is really great! She loved him and was very accepting about his perpetual motion. Jenna has a new teacher, of course, and likes her. She said that she made a new friend too, Olivia, and was thrilled that she was able to play with Robyn at recess even though they aren't in the same class.

I am excited for this school year. I get a little nervous about keeping up with their spelling words and homework each night (yes, people, 1st and 2nd graders have homework!). We did OK with this last year, but Jenna had her fair share of failed spelling tests because of lack of practice.  Jenna is a smart girl, but she has to work harder at it. Zac picks up things lickety-split but hates to sit down and write anything. It usually is a frustrating time when it's time to do homework. Steve and I have to trade off be we lose patience. I have a schedule in place that may or may not work, also I am just going to be working M/F and then Thurs nights, so I will be home more to keep things running somewhat sane at the homestead. It always looks good on paper, I am often times lacking follow through!


So here are Jenna and Zac just before school. They were both already up and at 'em at 6:30am.They were already dressed including shoes. They hardly ate breakfast because of excitement and nerves, Zac basically bounced to the bus stop. They both had a great day. I hope they continue liking school!

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3