Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's a story...









I was induced last Wednesday. As much as I believe in letting nature take it's course, the labor and delivery nurse in me or maybe intuition was not letting me wait much past 40 weeks. Given that I measured between 2 and 3 weeks ahead the entire pregnancy, and seeing that I haven't had a period since May of 2008, and because I have needed a little pitocin with the last 2 babies, I was worried that this baby was getting over-done. Also seeing all the scenarios at work makes it hard to feel that I am exempt from the not-so-ideal. It is hard to switch from that thinking (didn't I just do a 4 hour computer module on vacuums, forceps and episiotomies?) to thinking in a relaxing tone "Birth is natural. My cervix is a rosebud". I was thinking meconium and shoulder dystocia. I swear with Jenna and Zac when I went unmedicated, ignorance was bliss. Don't get me wrong, I believe in natural childbirth and love my prepared, unmedicated patients, but I wasn't in the state of mind to do it myself this time.
Unfortunately it was either Wednesday or wait till this past Monday for induction. Mom missed the birth of her 7th grand baby and the only of my babies' deliveries by less than 18 hours, but I am glad that we celebrated his birthday October 13th at 5:36 pm.
So all women love to share their story. I thought that it was neat that the L&D nurse that moved me to my post partum room said that she feels it an honor to be a part of the birthstory...very true.
We got the call around 10am that I could come on to the hospital, that they were ready for me. We arrived at 11am. They started pitocin at 12:30pm. We had a great room with a view of the mountain and even the temple that Steve and I were married in. Steve said, "look out the window. That's where this all started". Sweet, huh.
We watched mostly the Food network and the miner's being pulled out on CNN. We played Texas Hold 'em with Altoids, rested some and by the time the pit was at 20 I was starting to transition. 4pm I am 4+, I want my epidural, and the nurse intuitively turns on the baby warmer. Anesthesia comes in, placed the epidural and when they check me after the epidural at about 4:45pm, I am 9+. Love transitioning in the "push-your-back-out-like-a-mad-cat-position". As soon as I was complete I thought "sweet, I am not feeling pain and I am going to have a baby in like 1-3 contractions" as was the trend with Jenna, Zac and Trev. Well after a push or two the midwife says, and said more than once over the next half hour that, "he is either OP (face up- not so ideal) or he is big!" Well he was both with a double nuccal (cord around his neck twice). At one point, I suggested turning off the epidural because sometimes women who are too numb are just not good at pushing. She said something to the effect "let's keep it on in case he needs a little help." I thought, "Great a vacuum!" Shoulders stalled for a couple of seconds but all went well. Just more pushing and vomit than usual, he made an appearance without "help". There was a nurse in KY that warned against bragging about having the pelvis that can deliver 9-10 lb babies...it's not very feminine!. lol.
We was big, but precious, and even though he had to go to the nursery for grunting and having difficulty transitioning to life on the outside, I did get to have him at my chest for a while and cuddle him. That was difficult to have him carried away and very different than with the other kids.
Steve as with all our kids, was awesome and supportive. He said just what I needed and was a great encourager. I love him. He stayed by his side the whole first part of the night in the NICU. He was worn out after that day and the next with getting mom, that and his bum knee made it hard for him, but he was a trooper.
Anyway, the best part of the story is that Gage Thomas was born at 5:36 pm on October 13, 2010. He was 9 lbs and 5 oz, 20 inches long.
He stayed in the nursery for 48 hours as a precaution in light of lab values and breathing difficulties initially. He was discharged with a clean bill of health, a good x-ray, and wholly unnecessary antibiotics- but who knew until the culture came back negative.
We had a terrific experience with all the staff, and I especially loved my Certified Nurse Midwife.
We are sooo glad he is here.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3