Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Angel with a wadded shirt

Zac had a Christmas party at school Friday. It was a rough recovery morning for me. I didn't have a sitter the day before and stayed up all night and day with the kids. It seems like the day after is the hardest for me to flip back to a day schedule when my body and emotions say "go back to bed you crazy lady, please!" But that is an entirely different post. So we are getting ready and I asked Zac if he wanted to dress up for his party, he said "nah". He had on a jet t-shirt and wind-breaker pants. I thought, ok. I just figured it was causal anyway. Then I told him to brush his teeth and wash his hands. He promptly got wet, so I put a wadded up guitar hero shirt on that was on the couch from when Steve "did the laundry" 2 nights before. No time to iron and there was surely little else clean so out we go. The baby was with us, of course, and minus some crusted boogers and the fact that he had on a pair of Zac's socks, he was cute. I was going to the party too. I had actually requested off so I could go. Anyway, we get there 10 minutes late to find beautiful, groomed, dressed-up children seated for their Christmas treat. The girls were in their faux red velvet dresses or turtle necks with Christmas sweaters, and the boys in their Christmas sweaters. Geez, I knew I should have dressed him up- he is a total stud dressed up! Plus I forgot the camera. So that was a little awkward. Thankfully there was another little boy in sweat clothes. I loved that mom for her same blunder...how about a memo, right!
Anyway, they had their treat, briefly talked to Santa, then went into the chapel to sing us songs...and this is the good part. I am telling you that Zac stood up there and beamed. Actually the thought of him and his little smile, makes me wanna cry. He sang every one of those songs and looked at me and Trevor(and occas Ms Marsha the music teacher) the entire time. He was so proud to be there and to have Trevor and me there. He looked for us to clap after each song. He was like a little angel up there to me. It didn't matter one little bit that he was late, his mom was an emotional wreck, or that he looked underdressed...he was singing his heart out and he was so HAPPY. I love the feeling that came upon me.
I had been having a rough morning, overwhelmed with stuff to do and Zac showed me the important things in life- him. I was reminded of a quote that I had recently read that I will paraphrase and likely butcher: "You can feverishly go about checking things off your list of stuff to do- stuff that in the end is of little consequence. You should put your energies into those things of eternal importance."


3 comments:

The P*dunc's said...

what a wonderful story! I bet he was beaming to have you there!

I sometimes forget how much my 4 yr old loves me amidst the tantrums....until he hugs me and tells me that he loves me.

Thank you for the sweet reminder!

lcdiaz said...

That made me cry!! I can just picture Zacy smiling his zacy smile and singing his little heart out!! I miss you guys! Thanks for the reminder of what's important! Love you!

The Damron's said...

I bawled reading this story. You truly are amazing, and I hope you have an amazing Christmas!!!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3