Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kindergarten Update.



Kindergarten brought more stress than I thought it would. I didn't realize how much was expected of them. I overheard some older woman at work talking about how kids go to Kindergarten to learn to write their name. I was thinking, that these days you need to know how to write your name and how to recognize all the letters, (not just sing the alphabet) BEFORE kindergarten or "have you thought about the remedial class?". In November there is a second assessment, where the kids are supposed to be able to, among other things, blend sounds together to make words, express ideas in print, and write all the letters of the alphabet, Upper and lower case. This blew my mind. My barely 5 year old is supposed to write sentences and sound out words after 3 months of kindergarten? So she can recognize an "s" and a "t" but now she is supposed to know that an "s" and a "t" together make a "st" sound. I am not as flabbergasted and dejected now, she is doing fine. Every night we work on writing letters and go over her skills sheet. It's interesting to see that children at even a very young age have their best way of learning. I am working on learning why it is in her brain that she can recognize a "Gg" and has a hard time with "Dd". What makes her click? Flash cards aren't as effective with her, she has to relate it to something.
Anyway, I could go on and on, I have learned that even if you read to your kids every night since infancy, and even if they can sing their alphabet and know how to write their name, that they need some "schooling" before school actually starts. I have taken the approach that I would not drill my kids prior to school, and took no interest in having my kids know the states and capitols before kindergarten. Let them be little kids! play in the dirt, run, use your hands, cut, glue, make a mess, play with other kids, go to the park, see animals, play pretend, build forts, manipulate puzzles, bang on play musical instruments, dance and be silly in the living room, Love using your body to move, and your hands to make things. Know your colors and shapes and count, go to preschool to reinforce this and to learn how to take turns, wait in line and interact with others besides your siblings and parents. These were my priorities. It has been an eye opener. Zac and I are going to start sooner with letters, not just the alphabet song and his simple name. I am going to try to have him recognize and name all the letters out of order before kindergarten, the trick is getting him to care that a "u" is a "u". Any suggestions are welcome.

By the way, Jenna is really liking school, and the one on one time with her has been good in the evening working on letters, I just have to be careful not to "teach or drill" too much or she turns off and her brain turns to gew. She has made friends, most of them boys, as has been her pattern- probably because of her great relationship with her cousin Mason since she was a baby. She is proud of her book bag and cares very much about wearing a bow in her hair. She really likes her teacher, and I am so glad. We are all going to survive, it's these firsts that really teach us, right? I may look back and laugh at myself when our last goes to kindergarten, but the reality is that the first kid does teach us so much because there is just no instruction book on this stuff, and to top it all off, each child is different and the world changes with time, so basically I'll never have it figured out. I'll just do my best and love 'em, that should stay constant.
Here is a picture of Jenna on "picture day", I figured this would be better than the official one from school.

8 comments:

Brandon and Natalie said...

As always, she looks beautiful! Gorgeous blue eyes! No wonder all the boys like her.

I agree with what you said it seems like children aren't really getting the time to enjoy life and are starting so early to get into intense things.

I can't believe they want her to know all the stuff you mentioned by Nov. in Kindergarten. That is crazy! She is lucky to have a mom who works so hard with her. When I did my student teaching it was really easy to see what children had their parents work with them and which did not. I am sure she is doing great.

Alison said...

She looks so cute in that pic.

I think you need to talk with her teacher. I am almost positive that it is not required stuff. Maybe just testing to see where they are at and what they can do. I helped lots in Jes' Kindergarten class last year and over half would not have known that at the beginning of the year...some didn't blend by the end of the year. We do live in the same state...I wouldn't think it could be that different.

lcdiaz said...

I love love love Jenna's shirt! She looks so cute! Its no question why all the boys like her....that will be fun when she is a teenager :) That's so CRAZY about all the stuff that kingergartener's have to know within 3 months!! I can't believe that!! She is so smart and learns fast....she won't even need the 3 months to get it! You're an AWESOME teacher! It was good to talk to you the other day. :)

Cansas said...

Holy cow! I had no idea they need to know all that stuff before Kindergarten. It's said to me. I was of the same thinking as you were. Thanks for the info. I guess we'll start working on it more.

Isn't it scary raising kids. I feel like it's a little science experiment sometime. Thank heavens we have the spirit to guide us. I can't imagine life without it!

Lacey said...

Jenna is so adorable! Love it! No wonder so many kids fall through the cracks. It's like, if your kid doesn't know times tables by 6 years of age then they are doomed! This world is fast paced and techy. I wish our kids could just have cookies and nap time in kindergarten...sigh. Good job being the awesome mom you are. Jenna will kick butt in school! I'm glad you posted. I was missing you. I also e-mailed so write me back!

Tiffney said...

My suggestion for Zac is to keep all your same ideas about children and the way they should grow up. If he wants to learn those letters than great, if he would rather play in the mud and catch bugs, even better. And if for some reason, the time comes you know exactly where to tell the teacher she can put remedial.....I guess that is not the most positive thing to say, but Jenna is a beautiful, bright, and well adjusted girl. Hey she can handle boys, I am still trying to figure them out and I am 30! I commend you for working so hard with her. She is lucky to have such a loving mom. You are a great example.

ma said...

Hey Jenna! Mrs. Laskowski would like for you to spend the day in Kindergarten at Pope John while you are visiting. Your friends are excited to see you! Zacy can come to preschool with me. I love you! See you soon! Molly

Lea said...

Sounds like a crazy kindergarten to me! Jenna is a bright girl and she'll do fine. Tiffany's comment was spot on.

My tip for Zac - don't stress over letters and stuff with a boy. Keith wouldn't have anything to do with letters and numbers until about 4 months before kindergarten, then he picked it all up in a matter of weeks. He just had to be ready!

My kids all did really well with wooden and foam puzzles of letters and numbers. The feeling and holding helps, I think. I also made them watch Sesame Street almost every day.

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3