Saturday, July 7, 2012

Summer time

This summer I wanted to keep the kids in the mode of learning. While I was in the Denver airport overnight, I had some ideas. I thought that we could do a weekly theme. For example, week 1: animals. The kids each picked a pet-type/domestic animal to learn about. (I chose for Gage.) We looked on-line at the public library website/online catalog and got the call numbers for children's books about the pet they chose. Jenna chose rabbits, Zac- bulldogs, TR- birds, and Gage- gerbils and hamsters. We ventured to the library and got our books. We went right to the section, got some and left. That week they read about the pet, drew pictures, taught the rest of the family about it and solved some made-up math problems related to the topic. For a family activity, we went to the local pet store that we love called Animal Ark.
The next week we did transportation. Boats, motorcycles, helicopters, and trains. Same routine, except we attempted a boat store and the Harley Davidson store as the activity- they were both closed by 4 on Saturday, so  instead whenever they saw "their" mode of transportation they yelled it out in the van. "That's my boat!"
 Other ideas are "exercise and sports", then go to the Owls baseball game. "Exotic animals", and then go to the zoo. "Musical instruments" and then go to a piano store or music place or put on a concert that I video. "Outback adventures" and roast marshmallows and put up the tent or just go to Cabellas...etc.
 We didn't have a theme this last week of playing and 4th of July fun in Blanding. I will get started again this next Tuesday.

This crab was mimicking Zac's moves.

Yep, on the pet store floor.


I am not sure if the animals were more cute, or watching Gage enjoy the animals.
This summer has been pretty low key. The big kids are on the same team of coach pitch baseball with the Orem Rec. We haven't done much else. Jenna has been over to the neighbors a lot to play with Campbell. We have been to the public pool twice, and been to the park several times. The kids even occasionally sleep until 8. Yay. I did get the Pass of All Passes this year again, but I am too chicken to take the 4 kids alone to the water park or even miniature golfing. Gage and TR would give me a run for my money. Last year I lost TR for a little while at the water park. He was just strolling along the sidewalk, following the lazy river. Now Gage is my toddler that loves his independence.
We did just get back from Blanding for the festivities of the 4th of July. That is always fun. We have a St George trip planned at the end of the month again with Steve's family. Also, Jenna and Zac both will have their birthdays and parties this summer. I would also like to get some professional pictures of the kids.  I am thinking of taking them to Camera Shy. It is a step up from Kiddie Candid and a notch lower than what I really want and cannot afford.
 I do love the summer time.

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3