Saturday, July 17, 2010

Girls' Day out










I guess it was a little more than a week ago that I was talking to Jenna, tucking her in, when she said that she would really like a girl......'s day. Yes, I thought she was going to very seriously lobby for a girl instead of a boy, but instead she surprised me with her sweet idea to hang out- just the 2 of us. Aside from her field day at school, I think that the last time that Jenna and I had a date was when we still lived in Cedar. She had some great ideas, and as I walked out her of room, I was impressed at how my little girl has grown up and has a great little personality.
During the planning, she generously paused and said that I could chose some things to do too. She had thought out some great activities, and I was just happy to come along. Some activities of which we did and others that we are saving for the next time.
So we set the date for this past Monday, the 12th. I told her we would leave the house by 8.
She woke me at 6 and 6:20. I got ready and found her asleep on the couch at 7:20. We were not only out of the door, but we were sitting eating Krispy Creme by 8am. She picked chocolate covered glazed. We then went to a park and walked along the Provo river. She wanted to have an exploration and frolic in the water to which I said that could be another day. We then went to 3, yes three, pet stores and found an awesome one. In fact on the 0-10 scale, she gave it a 32,000. It's called Animal Ark and even I like it. There are cats, dogs, guinea pigs, bunnies, birds, snakes, lizards, turtles, and fish galore...even angel fish that Jenna was especially interested in seeing. We strolled in the party store, vacuumed the van and washed it. We had lunch at Skippers (mediocre, overpriced seafood) that she loved. Yes, you guessed it- popcorn shrimp! Then we went to the matinee to see Toy Story 3! There were only 2 other families in the whole theatre. After trying out the balcony, she opted for the ground level. She ate her popcorn before the movie started. The movie was great. After the movie we got the oil changed, got frosty's, and called it a Girls' Day!
It was fun to spend time with just her. I know of some families that do dates one on one with their kids on their semi-annual birthdate, you know, the 6 months after. That's a fun idea. I know that dates with your kids by themselves are important and I want to make that a tradition that we look forward to.
It was a fun date and Jenna could have gone all night but my money and energy ran out!..Next time we will do manicures, get princess hair and play miniature It was a fun date and Jenna could have gone all night but my money and energy ran out!..Next time we will do manicures, get princess hair and play miniature golf. She is already planning!

No comments:

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3