Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy notes



Zac has had some rough moments at preschool and has had sent home some "bad notes" pinned on his backpack. These notes triggered unhappiness, time outs, lack of privileges, and tears. I decided that a conference was probably in order (seeing as how at this preschool you drop off and pick up the kids via a line-system, and so I don't see the teachers much). I typed up some of my thoughts, in effort to get a better picture of Zac at preschool... I then saved it in the draft inbox.

Zac has always been an active boy with selective hearing at times...and I am the first to tell you he is, by no means, perfect. I would even say that he is a challenge for the the impatient and patient alike, and for those that seek serenity and stillness. I feel fortunate (as am sure that you are grateful too) that I am not one of those parents that think that their kids are genius and flawless. I can say however that Zac has a good heart, he is not a mean child, and he is eager to make you smile and brings a lot of joy to us. He is a witty, funny, crazy, active and a typically sweet character!

I never sent the letter and decided that we should talk in person so as not to leave any interpretation up in the air. You know how typed words are harder to interpret..."well that was sarcastic...she must hate me...etc". The very day that I was going to set up an appointment, Zac got a happy note! I cannot tell you his happiness...and I know that with Zac, positive reinforcement is the key. 2 happy notes that made us so happy for him! We still will talk so that we can continue to work on things at home, but receiving a happy note was so nice for all of us! I wonder if that teacher knows how good it feels to receive positive feedback. We sure appreciated her taking the time to jot a couple of nice notes!

I guess the point of the post is that #1. I have proof that there are truly great days that make me, and esp Zac smile when he gets in the van after school! and #2. That positive reinforcement goes a long way!...and #3 if you pick your nose it may bleed!

3 comments:

Catrina said...

LOL! That was hilarious! If you pick your nose...hehehe. Peyton has had some of the same troubles in Kindergarten this year...so I've had a lot of the same feelings. It's hard when you know that they aren't bad kids..they just may need a little extra attention. His teacher is also doing better with positive feedback...it really does make a difference! She is also learning to love the quarky, fun, emotional, class clown that is my little Peyton. I hope it works out for you!

lcdiaz said...

Good job on getting a happy note Zac!! I need lots of positive feedback too :) I can relate to Zac :)

Tiffney said...

Yeah Zac! I am so proud of you!

Dad comes to Utah!

Day 2 Day 3